• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Needed For a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trying2Help

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

What is the name of your state? South Carolina.

I am writing for a good friend of mine. Here is the case: My friend, who I will call Kim, was married for 10 years. She decided to seperate from her husband. My friend decided to move to this city, 2 hours from her ex. They have 3 children together. For the sake of her children, she decided to let the children stay with him until she got settled here then once that happened, the kids would come live here with her. Well, the ex got a girfriend, who I will call, Betty, who decided to change his mind and not allow Kim to have the children and begun to ruin my friend's life. She calls Kim names, such as a bitch, whore, slut. Betty also tells the children, ages, 9, 7,5, that Kim walked out on them, that Kim does not love them. Betty (as well as myself and Betty) all have a MySpace page. On Betty's page, Betty constantly refers to herself as the children's mommy. Betty went as far as to list herself as the kid's mother on the school records. Kim pays her child support as ordered but has fallen short a few times. Betty has called the Clerk of Courts office posing as Kim to find out if any warrants have been issued. We then realized that Betty has tried to open 3 accounts with Kim's social security number. The FBI is involved already but is slow. When Kim learned through the children that Betty had hit the oldest child, Kim then called DSS and explained the situation. They told her that if they went in right away, it would look like "the woman scorned" type thing. So, they called a psychologist to the kids' school to interview the children. The psychologist then called DSS themselves but now nothing has happened. I know my friend would get arrested for kidnapping if she just went in there and took the children, since as of March 7th, her ex got sole custody at the final divorce proceedings. Kim did not have the money for an attorney so had to represent herself and did not know she had to file with the court that she wanted sole custody. Upon walking out of the courthouse, Betty was waiting right outside the courtroom with a "haha I won" smirk on her face. This woman never says anything to anyone to their face. She does all the bullying on line. Betty had even gone as far as to have a police man meet her at the mutual halfway point between where the ex lives and Kim lives to pick up and drop the kids off at. Betty had obviously called the courts and since an warrant was issued because of a short payment, Betty wanted Kim to get arrested in front of the children. The warrant had been taken care of prior to the drop off. I witnessed the younger boy tell me and his mom that over the prior week sometime, the boy had cursed and Betty took it upon herself to wash the children's mouth out with soap. Kim just wants her children back. My friend is an awesome mother who loves her children very much and is tired of seeing them get hurt by Betty. Is there anything she can do at this point? Anyone have any advice for her?

Here is just a sample of what Betty says to Kim through emails. These are from Betty. Kim forwards the emails to me to be sure they are not lost in case something happens and she loses the emails. She has saved each and every thing the Betty sent either through emails or MySpace. If Kim just does not respond, the attacks get worse and nastier. I have seen this for myself.

Here is one email from Betty to Kim

"Yes, the courts will know what you make when Mike's lawyer orders you to show your past 26 pay checks and your W2. Then the court can adjust the child support appropriately to the correct ammount. I'm sorry, what did you contribute to their upbringing prior to me coming along? Half empty anti frizz shampoo??? Like I have said before, it takes a lot more than that. You never paid for their living expenses, their over the counter meds, their school lunches, their food... NOTHING!!!!! That and more is what it takes to PROVIDE for children. Just because I am in the picture now, picking up the peices you left behind, being the mommy they never had, doesn't mean you don't have a responsibility to "your" children. You are not supporting me, I am gainfully employed, as you well know. You are supporting the children you walked out on... and its about time. Keep up the good work, I would hate for you to go to jail for failure to provide for them. Tell Brenda, anytime she would like, we can have a face to face conversation. Ill be more than happy in fact. Why don't you sit in on it???? I'll tell you about yourself too. I'll bring the proof and all.... Remember, just because they have a new mommy doesn't mean you don't have the responsibility anymore. See ya tomorrow. Oh yeah, tell Jamie that I understand she has a thing for my man but he doesn't like her psycho ass stalking him at the mall. Don't forget to tell your "top notch" lawyers to call Mike's prior to March 7th. By the way, Hailey tells me you don't have time to paint her nails.... why is this? Its ok, I did what any mommy would do and did them for her."
(Brenda is me..Jaimie is a friend of Kim's) Jaime simply ran into this man in the mall and was not stalking him.

This is one sent yesterday to Kim.

"Ok, now that was just too funny in court the other day. I watched it on closed curcuit TV and just laguhed the whole time. How many times do I have to tell you that the state isn't going to play your stupid games? I was amazed that you actually told the truth on most things. Like I said, MOST things. I sure wish you would of kicked me, I would of enjoyed "defending" myself against your sorry ass. Get it right, you were not "protecting" your children, you were causing them more harm. They have EVERYTHING they need including two loving parents who live with them. Just an FYI, now that Mike has sole custody, you have less rights than I do LOL Isn't that funny how things work? You can't even take them to the doctors without asking Mike's permission... you can't do **** without asking.

"A parent with sole custody of a child has exclusive physical and legal custody rights concerning the child. Sole custody arrangements are rare, and are usually limited to situations where one parent has been deemed unfit or incapable of having any form of responsibility over a child"

I just can't wait until I can get ahold of the dictations of your remarks... I'm sure they'll really love to see why you left... because of them. Don't worry, I'll wait until they are much older to show them that you don't love them.

FYI, you might want to send in a payment for what they are not taking out of your paycheck, as the judge ordered you to in the rule to show cause hearing. You are behind and come Friday, if it hasn't posted, we'll be having a bench warrant issued. I also hope you get all of the **** taken care of like the judge told you to in the divorce hearing. I guess you didn't get away with what you wanted to LOL.... I get tickled everytime I think about it. Well, we thought, by your first letter the other day, that you might be chilling out after the court slapped you in the face about several dozen times and you might actually want to be civil. We saw last night that that was just another ploy of you to have pity. Seriously, you need to seek some mental health advise. This Jekyll and Hyde **** is what got your ass in the situation that its in.... help yourself!!!!

Kim is a wonderful woman and did not walk out on her children. Like I said, she left the children there so she would not be subjecting her children to living in a car or anything close to it if it did not work out here. I am so sick of seeing Kim get hurt. She can not afford an attorney so she can not go for sole custody alone. The children's father will not stand up to Betty and just lets this stuff happened. She has talked to a ton of attorneys looking for help. She has tried legal aid but earns too much to get help from them. Kim has been trying really hard to get a second job. Between child support and her bills, she doesn't have enough $$ to make it the full 2 weeks between paydays.

Just a little tid bit...You may recall in the first email, she referred to me. This came about because I had enough of it and had to send her a message through MySpace just basically telling her that what she does is very immature and making herself look desperate. I have gone with Kim on numerous occasions to pick the children up. Betty swears I am scared of her because i don't get out of Kim's vehicle and "confront" her. I have ZERO interest in speaking to this woman. I did get out of the vehicle and she did not even try to get out if her car. Instead she waiting until she got home to get on MySpace and call me low class trailor trash and how I was a stupid whore like my friend. It personally does not bother me. I was there at the divorce proceeding and heard Kim ask that no one, including any third party not to talk bad of her in the children's presence. The judge included this in the divorce decree. Kim told me she is not signing the documents until she calls her ex's attorney to ask that the girlfriend and any other third party stop contacting her. Betty deletes emails Kim sends to her ex, which always includes nothing but information about the children or asking about the children. Half of the emails are never recieved because of her deleting them. I have seen Kim with the children. The children love their mom and the feeling is very mutual. The children have told me that they can not stand Betty, that Betty does not give them meds when they need it. They say she is mean and screams (literally) when things do not go her way.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

justalayman

get rid of the novel. you'll get more (or maybe some) responses. Many will not wade throught tht much to give you an answer. I know I didn;t.

Trying2Help

I am not deleting anything. I told all of the details. Leaving out anything at all would not be helpful. Thank you for the advice. I'll take my chances.

Silverplum

I am not deleting anything. I told all of the details. Leaving out anything at all would not be helpful. Thank you for the advice. I'll take my chances.
Leaving out a LOT of that stuff WOULD be helpful. But you and your friend go ahead and pay a lawyer -- by the minute -- to tell all of that looooong story. Because I'm not gonna read through all that, either. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

Well...Speaking for the people that you want to advise you, you NEED to edit you post. If you don't you won't get the advice you requested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">