• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help needed urgently------small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpenda haki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon.

I have been sued by an Ex-partner for money I owe her. I received a notice to do one of the following.
1-pay back the full amount in 14 days.
2-Demand a hearing
3-Demand a trial.

I'm opting to pay but can't come up with the full amount in 14 days. I have contacted the plaintiff but she won't agree on a payment plan due to failed payment plans previously.

What would be the right thing to do ???

Roo

Option 1 is the right thing to do.
Choosing any other option is just going to cost you more.
You'll end up paying one way or another; garnishment, etc.

mpenda haki

Option 1 is the right thing to do.
Choosing any other option is just going to cost you more.
You'll end up paying one way or another; garnishment, etc.

I already decided to pay but I'm not in a position to come up with the full amount in 14 days. Is there anything I can do to set up a payment plan through the court or something like that???
I really want to get done with this once and for all.

Antigone*

I already decided to pay but I'm not in a position to come up with the full amount in 14 days. Is there anything I can do to set up a payment plan through the court or something like that???
I really want to get done with this once and for all.
Get a loan. If you can't do that, see what happens in 14 days. Your ex-partner will get her money one way or another.

dcatz

All of the advice is sound. Reference to a payment plan does not include reference to the time you’d need, so it may help to understand the dynamic of SC courts.

SC courts are designed to handle cases for relatively small amounts of monetary damages with relative speed and informality. They are not designed to monitor and enforce performance of contractual obligations or agreements between litigants. Those kinds of cases can bring the parties back into court later, and SC doesn’t want that. If you understand that, you’ll see that some choices are better for you than others.

The best choice, as has been suggested, is to get a loan and settle the case before trial. (Don’t get one that costs more than 9% APR because that’s your post-judgment interest rate.)

The next best choices involve a conditional judgment. That’s how courts refer to payment plans. Because SC doesn’t like to monitor performance, if you ask for a payment plan and the claimant agrees or the court decides that it’s appropriate, it will enter judgment against you and order it to be paid over time. The court is finished with the case and, if you default on a payment, the claimant can immediately enforce the remaining balance without court intervention. You don’t want a judgment. It will be for more than the principal owed and will hurt your credit, because it becomes a public record and can remain a public record long after you’ve paid the sum due.

If, by payment plan, you mean that you could pay the amount owed in 30-45 days, you could ask the claimant to agree to a conditional judgment and a continuance. The court announces the judgment that will automatically enter in 45 days if the case is not dismissed before. You have an extra 45 days to pay the claimant and, if you do, she dismisses the case. You pay principal owed and never have a judgment. Next best thing to never going to court, but you’ll need the claimant’s agreement. Incentives? A large partial payment now would help. Also the fact that she is paid voluntarily, rather than having to enforce a judgment. If you need more than 30-45 days, it’s not likely that the court would go for it, even if she will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">