• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Property Issues with roommate :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nattig1

Hi, I'm from PA.

I rented out a bedroom in my apartment 2 weeks ago. When I showed it I had a bedroom set in there (was using it as a guest bedroom for some time), and when my current roommate moved in, she asked if she could use it as she was coming from out of state and hadn't gotten any furniture. I said yes, for now, but that of course I expected her to get her own soon since it's my furniture.

Now 2 weeks later I have asked for my bedroom set back as I feel like it's been reasonable enough time for her to get her own bed and stuff. She refused! In her words she said "I am now the currrent residing renter of this room, so whatever was left behind and in my posession once I signed the leased is now mine. So should you come into my room to relinquish anything is grounds for arrest." :eek:We had an oral agreement I would get my stuff back, and now she's going back. I have a huge storage room inside my apt, so moving it there in the first place would have been no problem! If I was to take back my bed, could I be arrested? Will I have to go to civil court to get my stuff back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi, I'm from PA.

I rented out a bedroom in my apartment 2 weeks ago. When I showed it I had a bedroom set in there (was using it as a guest bedroom for some time), and when my current roommate moved in, she asked if she could use it as she was coming from out of state and hadn't gotten any furniture. I said yes, for now, but that of course I expected her to get her own soon since it's my furniture.

Now 2 weeks later I have asked for my bedroom set back as I feel like it's been reasonable enough time for her to get her own bed and stuff. She refused! In her words she said "I am now the currrent residing renter of this room, so whatever was left behind and in my posession once I signed the leased is now mine. So should you come into my room to relinquish anything is grounds for arrest." :eek:We had an oral agreement I would get my stuff back, and now she's going back. I have a huge storage room inside my apt, so moving it there in the first place would have been no problem! If I was to take back my bed, could I be arrested? Will I have to go to civil court to get my stuff back?

Do you have a lease with her?

BL

Hi, I'm from PA.

She is wrong about anything left in the room is hers ,period .

If anything she could claim the rented room came furnished.

Basically,you should not be entering her room though,except in emergencies .

If and when she vacates ,you should try to be there and if she asserts that the belongings are hers and tries to take them with her ,call the police.

If the belongings are damaged take it out of the SD.You did demand and received a SD didn't you?

Otherwise , follow your States LL/tenant Laws , and for any damages not covered by a SD ,sue her.

nattig1

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, we have a 1 year lease. The lease says nothing about furniture.

My landlord also has a security deposit from her. At this point if I was to wait until the lease is over, she would be getting free usage out of my bedroom set for a whole yr, causing who knows what damage. I'm just really upset about it b/c if I had known it would turn out this way, I would have never agreed to let her use it, or at least had her sign a contract saying it was short-term.

BL

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, we have a 1 year lease. The lease says nothing about furniture.

My landlord also has a security deposit from her. At this point if I was to wait until the lease is over, she would be getting free usage out of my bedroom set for a whole yr, causing who knows what damage. I'm just really upset about it b/c if I had known it would turn out this way, I would have never agreed to let her use it, or at least had her sign a contract saying it was short-term.
Wait a minute here.

You stated you rented a room ,then you say the LL has the SD from the renter .

Who is this person's landlord ?

It appears your landlord .

Go in take your stuff ,put it in a locked storage . If the renter breaks the lock and takes it back out you call the police ,or better yet call the police first to assist in getting your things .

Does the renter have the means to get her own stuff now ?

If not 2 weeks isn't that long to save up or purchase . I don't know who this individual is to you or your relationship to each other ,but your stuff is not hers .

It was lent for a time .

How much time is reasonable ?

You don't have anything in writting ,but if she's insisting it's all hers NOW ,get it out of there .

swalsh411

Her claim that you could get arrested for taking back your property is nonsense. If anything she would be in trouble for refusing to return it. You have to decide if this drama is worth it. How stable is this person? Are they going to damage something else? Do you believe they are damaging the furniture?

HomeGuru

The so called tenant is an idiot and does not know that law but since the furniture is not mentioned in the lease either way, OP your best bet would be to leave the furniture for the duration of the lease and then get rid of this nuisance when the lease ends.

HomeGuru

Next time remove the furniture before renting the room or provide a specific furniture clause in the lease.

nattig1

Sorry, I need to clarify. I've lived in and RENTED this apartment for 5 years. I found the roommate, etc, but she has a lease with the landlord. I have lived in the apartment alone for awhile but thought it would be good to have a roommate to help with costs.

She does not have the means to get her own stuff. After 2 weeks, me and her have a very bad relationship to the point where we only talk through email. She lied being in school and about having furniture in storage, after signing the lease she admitted she didn't have anything (she's 29 and I'm 25). I believe she is emotionally or maybe even mentally unstable. She has no friends or a job - she receives SSI. She makes irrational claims (I stole a SQUARE of toilet paper from the roll in her room for example!), and constantly tries to harass me and the landlord into buying her stuff (new rugs, dressers, new vacuum, etc, b/c "she only likes new stuff"). Me and the landlord have set down and went over the lease to get her out, but as of now we can't. The landlord even offered her the security deposit plus 1 months equivalent rent in cash (so free money) if she ended the lease early. The landlord wants her out but we have no grounds to evict her except her crazy (but not dangerous) behavior.

I let her use it out of kindness, as well as many other things out of kindness to appease her, but she has taken advantage of me to the fullest. I feel like if I give in about the bed, this will only be the beginning. She will start trying to keep other stuff in my apt. I have another post up right now about her trying to withold electric cost b/c I won't let her use my internet!

BL

Sorry, I need to clarify. I've lived in and RENTED this apartment for 5 years. I found the roommate, etc, but she has a lease with the landlord. I have lived in the apartment alone for awhile but thought it would be good to have a roommate to help with costs.

She does not have the means to get her own stuff. After 2 weeks, me and her have a very bad relationship to the point where we only talk through email. She lied being in school and about having furniture in storage, after signing the lease she admitted she didn't have anything (she's 29 and I'm 25). I believe she is emotionally or maybe even mentally unstable. She has no friends or a job - she receives SSI. She makes irrational claims (I stole a SQUARE of toilet paper from the roll in her room for example!), and constantly tries to harass me and the landlord into buying her stuff (new rugs, dressers, new vacuum, etc, b/c "she only likes new stuff"). Me and the landlord have set down and went over the lease to get her out, but as of now we can't. The landlord even offered her the security deposit plus 1 months equivalent rent in cash (so free money) if she ended the lease early. The landlord wants her out but we have no grounds to evict her except her crazy (but not dangerous) behavior.

I let her use it out of kindness, as well as many other things out of kindness to appease her, but she has taken advantage of me to the fullest. I feel like if I give in about the bed, this will only be the beginning. She will start trying to keep other stuff in my apt. I have another post up right now about her trying to withold electric cost b/c I won't let her use my internet!
I advised you to get yout belongings . She is on SSI . Local Welfare might provide her a voucher ( mabe $300.00 ) to buy used furniture .

Tell her to talk to her welfare worker .

Where I live , SSI is associated with some entity also that has warehouse of used household furniture ,Etc. They can come with a truch and movers and she can go there and pick out what she needs ,

She can check with her SSI worker to see if they have that there.

If she's spoiled for new stuff , tough luck.

Get your belongings.

Additionally ,when she has no more bed ,she might take the LL up on her offer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">