• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help! restaurant took more money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gb7o3

What is the name of your state? Virginia

The problem i have is that the restaurant i was at with my wife, added additional money to the tip. what kind of actions should i take? please help,thanks.

Veronica1228

gb7o3 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

The problem i have is that the restaurant i was at with my wife, added additional money to the tip. what kind of actions should i take? please help,thanks.
How much more did they add? Are you saying that you went to a restaurant, paid with a credit card, and then they altered the slip after you signed it? Please clarify the situation.

ENASNI

More info needed

Answer Veronica's Question... was this a group thing where gratuity was added what are you asking about...

sheesh I guess we get the two edged sword when we ask for brief and concise and the we get the long-winded we get all over them.. :eek: :eek: we are tough... :eek:

gb703 try again to ask your question there do be monsters here but we can help too... your question is easy for some of us lay people and some lawyers that are not on the rampage :D ;)

nanomug

Do you have your copy of the signed slip? How do you know they changed it?
You can dispute it with the credit card company or You can ask the restaurant for a refund.

Veronica1228

Things are a little scattered because a lot of people are answering, so let's just break it down.

Did you call the restaurant to work this out with them?

Do you still have your copy of the credit slip?

Have you contacted your credit card company or bank regarding the alteration?

First of all, everyone so far has been correct with their advice. Here is how I recommend you handle this situation. Locate your copy of the slip so you have proof that it was altered. Next contact the restaurant, speak to the manager or owner, and tell them what happened. They may be willing to make it right. If they will not work with you tell them that you will be notifying your credit card company about the fraud. If after hearing this they still will not work with you then follow through with the threat.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

ENASNI

hey

So do you think we will hear back Veronica? sheesh I hate to just come on this boards to bash trolls, I do try to help...Karma ya know... :eek:

Veronica1228

ENASNI said:
So do you think we will hear back Veronica? sheesh I hate to just come on this boards to bash trolls, I do try to help...Karma ya know... :eek:
True, but being mean can be fun too. If you want some real fun go over to Civil Litigations. IAAL and rmet are double teaming a guy. I never thought I'd see the day those two would work together!!!

ENASNI

wear the glass slippers cinderella with the 3 and a half inch heels cinderella.
(I am wearing flip-flops today.. don't tell the other WOW sisters... ;) )

Thanks found it anyway... sorry... :eek:

racer72

Same thing happened to me once, the waiter added a $15 gratutity to a $35 bill even though I paid the tip in cash. Turns out I wasn't the only one it happened to that night, a new hire made about $300 on illegal tips that night. Got all my money back and a free meal.

MandyD

This is of no help now, but for the future it'll come in handy. When I pay with a credit card but leave the tip on the table, I write in the spot for a tip, "tip left on table". When I'm putting the tip on my credit card, I write out in words the tip amount. Fifteen and no/hundreds. It's much harder to alter that on a CC slip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">