• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help ripped off by villa agent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevenjack

I live in the UK and rented a Villa with boat from a NJ woman. Although she rents a number of properties it does not appear to be a company.
Turns out as I called 2 weeks before departing that the boat does not exist. We paid $1100 deposit for boat and house which she now wont return despite the fact she cancelled the booking as she said we were problem people.
Question is can someone from the UK raise a court action in the US ?
Would flights etc, be considered legitimate expenses and awarded as part of any settlement?
Is the limit $3000?
On average how much notice does the court give for you to appear?
Anyone ever heard of a court that would be equipped for a video link?

Thanks all for your advice

Steven & Val Jack
Ayrshire
Scotland

JETX

stevenjack said:
Question is can someone from the UK raise a court action in the US ?
Yes.

Would flights etc, be considered legitimate expenses and awarded as part of any settlement?
No.

Is the limit $3000?
Yes. The small claims limit in New Jersey (USA) is $3000US.

On average how much notice does the court give for you to appear?
Depends on the courts caseload.... but usually a couple of weeks. You can reschedule if needed.

Anyone ever heard of a court that would be equipped for a video link?
Rare, but might be possible. Check with the court.

Steven & Val Jack
Ayrshire
Scotland
Your welcome. Love your area!! Been there several times. My ancestry is from Dunfermline. Even a road and a town in East Ayrshire share my family name.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">