• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Stopped Payment On Check With other Party agreeing...now family at odds.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beth2085

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

About 2 months ago,my grandmother signed a check on her account for me to cash for rent (she lives with me) my bank was in the negative,so I could not take it to my bank,so I wrote the check out to my stepmother (with grandmothers permission) But at the time my mother,and stepmother were at odds because my dad cheated on my stepmother with my mother ( I know confusing situation).... and my grandmother is my mothers mom,and I thought about it after I did it,that my mother wouldnt be too happy that I wrote a check to her enemy on my grandmothers account.... so I called my stepmother to explain to her what I had thought about,and I asked her if I could stop payment on the check,and just pay her the amount of check (200.00) and the fee (30.00) She agreed,and I paid her that amount of money back.... over a month ago,well about 3 days ago my mother and my stepmother got into a physical altercation and both were arrested.NOW my stepmother is angry with me over all of it,and says I never paid her and she said she is going to take a warrant out on my grandmother and myself.... I have no proof that I did pay her because I trusted her,I mean she was my stepmother,but now her and my dad are divorcing and she doesnt care who she hurts... basically I am wondering if this is a small claims action?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

About 2 months ago,my grandmother signed a check on her account for me to cash for rent (she lives with me) my bank was in the negative,so I could not take it to my bank,so I wrote the check out to my stepmother (with grandmothers permission) But at the time my mother,and stepmother were at odds because my dad cheated on my stepmother with my mother ( I know confusing situation).... and my grandmother is my mothers mom,and I thought about it after I did it,that my mother wouldnt be too happy that I wrote a check to her enemy on my grandmothers account.... so I called my stepmother to explain to her what I had thought about,and I asked her if I could stop payment on the check,and just pay her the amount of check (200.00) and the fee (30.00) She agreed,and I paid her that amount of money back.... over a month ago,well about 3 days ago my mother and my stepmother got into a physical altercation and both were arrested.NOW my stepmother is angry with me over all of it,and says I never paid her and she said she is going to take a warrant out on my grandmother and myself.... I have no proof that I did pay her because I trusted her,I mean she was my stepmother,but now her and my dad are divorcing and she doesnt care who she hurts... basically I am wondering if this is a small claims action?
Stop with the weird fonts.

Yes, it's a small claims action. Stepmom can take y'all to court.

beth2085

Sorry about the weird font I wasnt sure what I was doing... thank you for your advice.. that makes me feel a lot better,and now she can quit threatening me...

beth2085

I mean I realize she can take us to court,but I meant I felt better knowing she couldnt press criminal charges,like she says she is going to try to do,which my fiance is a sheriffs deputy and he tried to assure me it was a small claims case but i just wanted to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">