• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helpful Tips Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CoffeeBean87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I am scheduled to appear in a small claims court hearing on Friday December 19, 2008. The scenario is as follows:
I opened a Verizon Wireless phone account for a friend in June. Our friendship ended shortly after (go figure), and I cancelled the account. The girl wanted her the phone turned back on so badly (she had been using the same phone number for five years, and did not want to change it) that she agreed to go to the bank with me to get a statement notorized saying that she was responsible for the first month's bill (which included the phone itself) if I would turn the phone back on. After it was turned on, the phone number was supposed to be transferred to a different person's name. However, the transfer did not take place for over another month. From the time the account was opened until the time it got transferred, hundreds of dollars had been racked up due to cancelling the account, overuse of minutes, etc. After the transfer, there was a remaining balance of over $400. I gave her a deadline as to when I wanted her to have that money to me, but as you may have guessed, she never gave it to me. In order to keep the account from going to a collection agency, I paid a past due balance of $100. I then filed a claim with the local court. Long story short, I am not exactly sure if I have a convincing case. I have the notorized statement, but it only says that she is responsible for the first month's bill. I also had verizon send me a copy of all the bills, so that the court can see what payments have been made. I really don't have much else to go by, but if anyone can offer me any form of advice or suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it!

cyjeff

What is your question?

If you should have let someone that swindled you once swindle you again using a worthless piece of paper? No, no you shouldn't.

Demand the return of the phone... and turn it off. In any order.

CoffeeBean87

No question; just asking for advice on something I can do to make my case go over a little bette. Getting the phone back from her was never an option, and the phone number has already been transferred. So I don't really need to hear what I should have done. I've never had to take someone to court, so I just thought someone might be able to give me some tips.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">