• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He's avoiding being served.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terriwarren

Washington, DC. We signed a joint lease, and agreed to split the rent. He NEVER paid anything, and I can prove it. After finally getting rid of him, I now am trying to sue him for the more that $4000 he owes me. He knows I have proof, so he is avoiding being served. I need service alternatives, since I don't know anyone who can serve him, and I can't afford a professional process server.

jadedjewell31

The courts should be able to help you with that. I had them serve someone for me. It was about $35-$40 depending on their mileage or how many times they had to go back when he wasnt home.

Do you have his current address, phone number, or place of employment?

xylene

Washington, DC. We signed a joint lease, and agreed to split the rent. He NEVER paid anything, and I can prove it. After finally getting rid of him, I now am trying to sue him for the more that $4000 he owes me. He knows I have proof, so he is avoiding being served. I need service alternatives, since I don't know anyone who can serve him, and I can't afford a professional process server.
Did he agree to split the rent in writing?

Any other proof, like he paid some months, but not others?

Signing a lease together does not in itself prove he owes you money.

OneSourceProces

It's a must

Unfortunately your only option is to hire a process server and if he is avoiding your going to have to pay the sever hourly (typically $50-$100 an hour) to stake out his workplace or residence.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">