• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He's got a history of non-payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bonbondoll

What is the name of your state? New York I lent my ex $500 (cash instead of a check because he needed the money right away). The agreement was that he would pay back in 2 weeks. He didn't. So I e-mailed him asking for the money. He E-mailed me back, it read " I will send the money." A month and a half later I e-mailed him again, his response this time was,
"I will mail the money this week." That was over 3 weeks ago. I have saved both E-mails.
My questions are; One, are the E-mails sufficient proof that I lent him the money? and two, should I call or E-mail him requesting the money again?

Since I broke off our relationship with that last E-mail I know he's not going to pay. He's got a history. I should mention that he was arrested because he refused to pay or return a ring that he had received on credit. This happened after I lent him the money. Please help I'm so confused. It's not about the money but the principle.

Last edited:

T

Terry7

First does it specify what these "loans" were for in the e-mail.

If your just typing,Are you going to send me the money ,or when are you going to send me the money you owe me ?

And he replys, I'll sent it in 3 wks,or i'll send you the money this wk.

These are generalizations with NO substance,and the boat has a hole ( will not hold water ).

On the other hand If you have his e-mails printed,and you can prove who he is: ie: s/n,and the e-mails specify,you lent him $500.00 specifically,and he states he will pay you back the $500.00 you loaned him , in 2 e-mails,and you can prove he has a character of not paying LOANs,you may have a case .

It doesn't cost much to file,and you never know ,you could get your money,unless he does not work, or have assets.

JETX

Ignore 'Terry7'. His questions have no relevance to determining the legal status of this issue.... which comes down to:
1) Yes, you can use the emails to support your claim that you loaned him the money. The problem is, you will need to print out the ENTIRE email, including the 'header'. Then, using the information in the header, you will need to subpoena his internet provider and get records from them showing that he was the sender of the emails (at that time, on that date). The problem is, emails can be 'spoofed' to show any email address and are generally unreliable without your 'validation'.

Also, you might consider sending him a letter stating the conditions of the loan, and that he has not repaid you. Ask for payment within the next 14 days. Also, add a statement such as "If you disagree with this having been a loan, or having received this money from me, please advise in writing within 7 days." Send it be certified RRR.
It might help to support your 'lack of evidence' case.

T

Terry7

Terry7

Jetx is refereeing to post I have made giving sound advice:

I refer original Posters to the CLERKS of the courts they are involved in. They would
know BEST,the procedures and what forms to use.
I site my STATE as an example:

Quite frankly If you step back,you will not even see in this thread where I have typed
anything about NY STATE.

Therefore,you will be wondering what this guy is talking about.
I upon reading this post would think JetX is Delusional.

But you must know,he goes from thread to thread,reading my post,and then criticizes
them. I have told him he is on ignore,but he don't get it. He still insist on finding a way to
belittle me ,even for spelling,when he makes spelling mistakes hisself like ( speling ).

He even has someone "sill liver" with someone else ?

But he must continue. That's the kind a person he is .

I do have a signature on the bottom of my post, that is sound advice.

JetX has one making derogatory remarks of a person. I think you can figure out the

Last edited by Terry7 on 06-20-2003 at 11:40 AM

06-20-2003 11:37 AM

JETX

Terry, my wayward child.....
Is there some logic to why you cut a message from another thread and pasted it into this one??? If so, how about letting the rest of us know what your feeble child-like mind was thinking.......

T

Terry7

But you must know,he goes from thread to thread,reading my post,and then criticizes them.

Yes, there is logic to the statement I made.

It appears to be true , because here you are again.

JETX

"But you must know,he goes from thread to thread,reading my post,and then criticizes them."
*** Wrong again, monkeyboy!!
Originally, I was not correcting your posts. I was only correcting your inane and ignorant attempts at 'advice'. But, your posts have gotten so humorous... and your spelling and grammar so atrocious, that I have started to correct them where needed.

"Yes, there is logic to the statement I made. "
*** I am sure that their is SOME logic in at least one of the statements you made..... I just can't think of any.

'It appears to be true , because here you are again."
*** Gee, and I thought you had me on 'permanent Ignore'. I guess you don't, because here you are again!!

:D :D :D :D

JETX

Okay... it was fun.

I got an idea.... how about I start a new thread so that we can continue this over on my thread. :D :D :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">