• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hipaa Violation??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcramharding

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I have had issues with my ex and his girlfriend. My ex's girlfriend works for a doctors office. She called my mom (still don't understand why they won't call me instead of my mom.) for my medicaid number for a visit they took my son to. Anyway, after my mom told me. I called the doctors office and told them that I would bring the card down. When I got there I realized I didn't have my card but I had the number and that I would give them the number and fax a copy of the card. No problem done and over with right, wrong. I get to work and get a call from my ex yelling at me asking me why I was harrassing is girlfriend and her work. ( She works at the office). Now she wasn't at workl So there is no way that he would know I was there. So apparently the office staff called to tell her that I had been there and had also requested copies of his records. He complained about not getting records for the visits that I take him to and I told him that he has just as much right as I do to request copies if he wants.

Now I work for a doctors office and isn't it against hipaa for them to call the girlfriend and tell her that I was there and what I was there for? I know that if I did that at my office I would get fired on the spot.

So am I off base with calling this a hipaa violation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

It would be a HIPAA violation if your medical information was released to someone not authorized to have the information. This is not a violation, no medical info was released. You are required to have copies of the HIPAA laws in your office, read them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">