• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by Bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsegui

Need small claims lawyer to address claim issue with New York Schools Insurance Reciprocal.

They denied a claim for a Guilderland NY school bus hitting my car when I was parked at the school waiting for the bus to drop off my two children. They denied because the bus driver didn't think he had hit me. The bus paint is on my car. I don't know how realistic it is to think that a sample of the paint could taken off my car and matched to the bus, but that seems the only evidence. I don't have any witnesses. Damage to car is estimated at $1647.17.

Anyone think this case can be won?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Need small claims lawyer to address claim issue with New York Schools Insurance Reciprocal.

They denied a claim for a Guilderland NY school bus hitting my car when I was parked at the school waiting for the bus to drop off my two children. They denied because the bus driver didn't think he had hit me. The bus paint is on my car. I don't know how realistic it is to think that a sample of the paint could taken off my car and matched to the bus, but that seems the only evidence. I don't have any witnesses. Damage to car is estimated at $1647.17.

Anyone think this case can be won?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This is not a lawyer referral board. You can use the orange "Find a Lawyer" button on the top-right of this page.

Take photos of your car and the bus that struck you. Have a tape measure from the ground up to the point the paint was transferred to your car. Go to the bus that struck you and do that same thing, showing the part of the bus that struck your car, and the paint it's now missing. Have the tape measure in the photos to show the exact measurements at the same height and points of paint transfer. Make sure the ground is in the photos so you can prove you didn't manipulate the tape measure to your benefit.

I think you'd have a very good chance of winning with sufficient evidence.

BL

1 ) For non injury or non serious accidents ( minor accidents ) , it is OK for the drivers involved to exchange their informations , such as drivers license ID , Insurance informations , registration ID ( plate #s ) .

As in this case names of the Bus Co. and Bus # , if applicable .

2 ) Police called to seen are usually for accidents w/ injury , or more serious accidents , but can be called for minor ones .

What one did you follow ?

What does your Ins. Co. say about it ?

What type of damage occurred to your vehicle ?

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

No lawyer on the planet is going to take a $1600 case. Do it yourself in Small Claims.

Read this and follow the instructions and you should have a good shot at prevailing:
http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/smallclaims/procedural.shtml
http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/smallclaims/represent2.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">