• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit with a money chasing, frivolous small claims suit ... any advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greylock52

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello all,

This past week I was served by a person who is desperate for funds and decided that I had insulted them and has thus hit me with a $5,000 small claims lawsuit for harassment and defamation.

Oddly, the suit was filed in the nearest city (where I do not live), not our local town (where the incident happened and the person lives), which I think was done to try and up the claim amount from $3,000 to $5,000 or because the other party has had lots of legal trouble in out town already.

I clearly did have an insulting altercation with the person in question. I believe much of it was set up to try and make a law suit like this possible. Everything I ever said was truth, so I really don't see how defamation comes into play. Harassment ... a two minute conversation about a deadbeat doesn't seem to be harassment.

Anyway, a few embellishments and perhaps a few what I think are outright lies on a court complaint and I'm being sued for $5,000. The complaint is full of errors, misspellings and the like and beyond hurt feelings there is no actually physical damages.

I have lots of questions like: can I ask for dismissal for being the wrong jurisdiction? Should I counter sue? I have had to change my schedule and lose some business to deal with this situation. Can I claim damage for my legal fees associated with the case? Can a person even sue for non-physical damages in small claims court in NY? Is there anything I can do if the other party filed a frivolous case or commits perjury in the filings or during the case? Do I have to wait until the case is heard or can I do something beforehand to not waste my or the court's time?

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">