• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hitting 20 year mark- small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tayla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

PA carries a 20 year on judgment and collecting on it.

History: april of 1996 , judgment placed against my being. It was in small claims court. records have it filed in October 1996.
The entity was a bank that went belly up two years later. No further info from SEC as to any acquisitions of new owner.

There was no writ of revival at any time, per the court house docs. Not even a lien on physical property. It was a small amount.

My concern is: which date do I use to follow the PA statute on the 20 year ruling? The April date in which the Magistrate signed in favor of the plaintiff? Or the date in which the courts placed it on file? I was served in february 1996 for the April court date 1996.

It's showing as "A" status which I presume means Active.

If it was April then wouldn't it be closed? I would assume that it becomes effective the date the judge ruled, not the date that the court filed it away ....
PA is vague in how they date certain a case.

I had to have the courts close a file before that passed its term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">