• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA, Private Security, Towing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ngonza46

My wife bought a car, but has yet to finish the bill of sale with her friend, she recieved the car prior to our flight to brazil Dec 8th-Dec 29th 2016. Before leaving, I obtained a temporary month pass for the vehicle and properly displayed it in the "FRONT" window. As we are still in Brazil, her friend borrowed the vehicle to then have the car towed back 20 minutes later as the car stopped functioning just outside the community. She towed the car, and it was placed in reverse back at the reserved spot alotted to me by the community. Per the rules of our HOA which I have just found out, the car was towed because of our HOA rule stating the can cannot be in reverse (reasoning being for that security can properly identify the car has a Proper HOA approved permit which is required to be located on the "Rear Left" side of the vehicle) As I was finaly able to reach my HOA, they stated that it is necessary for the car to be parked correctly so as to identify properly permitted cars from the rear, yet the Temporary pass "must be properly displayed in the front windshield" negating the general purpose of having the car parked properly forward...
Upon trying to reach out to the tow cpmpany, they will not release the car until the current owner has documentation, which she is in jamaica(private flight attendant) until the 2nd of jan 2017. Security, who's responsibility is to call the tow, as I have been informed, did not contact me via phone or email, nor the HOA to their Knowlwdge, but MAY have had a violation sticker put on the car.
As I can not return earlier to the US, the car still waits every day in the lot as it racks up a towing bill that I most likely can not afford to pay. Is my HOA, Security, the friend who had borrowed and towed back have fault here? Does this rule in my HOA agreement have proper force, or does this not serve the best interest of security and maintanence of my community.
Or am I to be fully responsible for this upon return to the US?
West Palm Beach, Florida 33415

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My wife bought a car, but has yet to finish the bill of sale with her friend, she recieved the car prior to our flight to brazil Dec 8th-Dec 29th 2016. Before leaving, I obtained a temporary month pass for the vehicle and properly displayed it in the "FRONT" window. As we are still in Brazil, her friend borrowed the vehicle to then have the car towed back 20 minutes later as the car stopped functioning just outside the community. She towed the car, and it was placed in reverse back at the reserved spot alotted to me by the community. Per the rules of our HOA which I have just found out, the car was towed because of our HOA rule stating the can cannot be in reverse (reasoning being for that security can properly identify the car has a Proper HOA approved permit which is required to be located on the "Rear Left" side of the vehicle) As I was finaly able to reach my HOA, they stated that it is necessary for the car to be parked correctly so as to identify properly permitted cars from the rear, yet the Temporary pass "must be properly displayed in the front windshield" negating the general purpose of having the car parked properly forward...
Upon trying to reach out to the tow cpmpany, they will not release the car until the current owner has documentation, which she is in jamaica(private flight attendant) until the 2nd of jan 2017. Security, who's responsibility is to call the tow, as I have been informed, did not contact me via phone or email, nor the HOA to their Knowlwdge, but MAY have had a violation sticker put on the car.
As I can not return earlier to the US, the car still waits every day in the lot as it racks up a towing bill that I most likely can not afford to pay. Is my HOA, Security, the friend who had borrowed and towed back have fault here? Does this rule in my HOA agreement have proper force, or does this not serve the best interest of security and maintanence of my community.
Or am I to be fully responsible for this upon return to the US?
West Palm Beach, Florida 33415
How can you claim that the car was sold if there is no bill of sale? Then again, how long does it take to do a bill of sale?

Seems to me that the registered owner of the car is ultimately responsible. You've got a mess, and you're out of the country so you won't be able to fix it. I'd kiss the car goodbye.

ETA: Consider it a blessing - sounds like a junker anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">