• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding my stuff hostage!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peacefan

What is the name of your state? California

About a year ago, a friend agreed to let me store some items (couch, recliner, bed, 10 boxes) in her garage. We negotiated and came up with - she could use the bed and I would pay a small fee (20-30$) per month for use of her garage. Because we were friends, she waived the fee. Recently, she mentioned that I had given her the bed and she was unwilling to discuss it further. I figured I lost my bed and would chalk it up to experience. A few weeks later, she contacts me and states that she has bought a new bed of her own. Long story short- I'm trying to move my stuff to a new location but she is not cooperating by being unavailable at the times we set up for me to do the pick up (I show up with my uhaul, she is not there).
So- my question is...what rights and/or options do I have for getting my stuff back from her and how best to go about it?
Thanks in advance for your input
Mi

S

seniorjudge

peacefan said:
What is the name of your state? California

About a year ago, a friend agreed to let me store some items (couch, recliner, bed, 10 boxes) in her garage. We negotiated and came up with - she could use the bed and I would pay a small fee (20-30$) per month for use of her garage. Because we were friends, she waived the fee. Recently, she mentioned that I had given her the bed and she was unwilling to discuss it further. I figured I lost my bed and would chalk it up to experience. A few weeks later, she contacts me and states that she has bought a new bed of her own. Long story short- I'm trying to move my stuff to a new location but she is not cooperating by being unavailable at the times we set up for me to do the pick up (I show up with my uhaul, she is not there).
So- my question is...what rights and/or options do I have for getting my stuff back from her and how best to go about it?
Thanks in advance for your input
Mi

Sue your friend for the amount the stuff costs in small claims court.

Some small claims statutes also allow a request for the return of stuff.

Contact your state bar for booklets on how small claims works in your state or visit the state bar online.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">