• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home depot gift card fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyjeff

Usually, if someone with a really big problem vanishes, it means that they are presently a guest of the state.

doggy1

heres what happened

The card you purchased has a long number on the bottom. that number can be used by anyone who has knows that number. They can then download a print out to their home computer which is esentially a gift card and they simply can download the whole value of any card they have the number of. So heres what happened to you. You bought the card. After you bought it. The seller or someone he knows went to any computer and entered your card number and down loaded on to printable forms with new numbers the total dollar amount on your card, there by depleting your card. Now that person has stolen back all the money off of the card. Note that I believe some home depot employees are in on this scam they are either writing down numbers of cards with large dollar amounts attached to them or are getting into the database and finding the cards with big dollar amounts. The key point is that the card can be depleted anonomously at an internet connection by printing out what is essentially a paper copy of a gift card all they need is the card number off of your card. HD says they can't help you recover the money but they know the new card number that was issued off of your card and reassigned to the new (paper copy). So they can track those new cards. I know this why it just happened to me. Here's how to get around it. If you buy a card at a discount immediatley have a trusted freind/spouse on an internet connection download the total value of that card you just purchased to a new "printable" card there by depleting the card you just bought and assiging a new card number to the money you put into the card. This will keep the loser you bought the card from from going home and loggin in to HD website and depleting your card that you just bought from him. It will not keep HD employees who have access to gift card data base from stealing the money. I believe HD has a big hole in thier system and they don't want to admit it. To me the only way you should be able to charge money off on a card is to have the actual plastic card in your hand. Its just like cash so it should be treated the same way as in you don't have it in your hand then you can't spend the money.

doggy1

Maybe we should file a class action suit

We only need 3 complaintants to file a class action suit. Whould you like to file a suit with me. The original complaintants make a lot of money if we win. Let me know.

cyjeff

Are you honestly coming to a legal website with advice on how to better steal from a major retailer?

Are you a moron or that arrogant?

Please file your suit. Make sure you ask your attorney about "reasonable" value.

Kiawah

Had a guy come up to me outside a Lowes Hardware store about 6 months ago, when I was out of state visiting PA. He had a good story line, had over $200 of credit on a card, said he just returned a large item. Showed all the receipts and paperwork. Said however he needed $40 bucks cash for gas for his truck so he could get home, and would let me have the card for $40.

No thanks. Scammers born every second.

You were trying to make a fast buck, and got taken big time.

yodayoda

There is no way to cancel Home Depot store credits or a gift cards from the Internet. Where did you get that from?

It is clearly stated on HD web site that if you lose your store credit or plastic gift card, they can not be replaced (Email The Home Depot Customer Support or Call Us).

However, I believe that if you have a strong case, HD will do a replacement after investigation. They can not be canceled from the Internet.

The card you purchased has a long number on the bottom. that number can be used by anyone who has knows that number. They can then download a print out to their home computer which is esentially a gift card and they simply can download the whole value of any card they have the number of. So heres what happened to you. You bought the card. After you bought it. The seller or someone he knows went to any computer and entered your card number and down loaded on to printable forms with new numbers the total dollar amount on your card, there by depleting your card. Now that person has stolen back all the money off of the card. Note that I believe some home depot employees are in on this scam they are either writing down numbers of cards with large dollar amounts attached to them or are getting into the database and finding the cards with big dollar amounts. The key point is that the card can be depleted anonomously at an internet connection by printing out what is essentially a paper copy of a gift card all they need is the card number off of your card. HD says they can't help you recover the money but they know the new card number that was issued off of your card and reassigned to the new (paper copy). So they can track those new cards. I know this why it just happened to me. Here's how to get around it. If you buy a card at a discount immediatley have a trusted freind/spouse on an internet connection download the total value of that card you just purchased to a new "printable" card there by depleting the card you just bought and assiging a new card number to the money you put into the card. This will keep the loser you bought the card from from going home and loggin in to HD website and depleting your card that you just bought from him. It will not keep HD employees who have access to gift card data base from stealing the money. I believe HD has a big hole in thier system and they don't want to admit it. To me the only way you should be able to charge money off on a card is to have the actual plastic card in your hand. Its just like cash so it should be treated the same way as in you don't have it in your hand then you can't spend the money.

xylene

There is no way to cancel Home Depot store credits or a gift cards from the Internet. Where did you get that from?

It is clearly stated on HD web site that if you lose your store credit or plastic gift card, they can not be replaced (Email The Home Depot Customer Support or Call Us).

However, I believe that if you have a strong case, HD will do a replacement after investigation. They can not be canceled from the Internet.
Home depots cancellation ad refund policy does not mean that they (home depot) cannot void gift cards purchased fraudulently.

Just because the consumer purchasing such cards must treat them as cash does not mean Home Depot is guaranteeing them.

Last edited:

yodayoda

HD can absolutely cancel a gift card if they are defrauded. There is no way an outsider can cancel a gift card anonymously as the original post I replied to.

I don't believe that HD will replace a gift card just because you report to them that it was lost or stolen. There is no way for HD to know if you are telling the truth and they have a clearly stated policy that you should treat it as cash.

The only exception is eGift card. Since eGift card has an ownership, so you can get a replacement. I don't think anyone is naive enough to buy a eGift card from total stranger.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">