• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeownder does not pay for gardening; no written contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spurtster

CA

I did some work for about $400, but caused damage to sprinkler system. could not fully finish work, so gave a discount of 100.
Homeowner claims that it cost $300 to fix which I think is more than the damage. Since there is no contract, how can I prove that the work was done.

longneck

you don't need a contract. send them a bill. if you don't get paid, take them to court. here is how it will go:

you: i did work. i billed them $300. they didn't pay the bill.
judge [to them]: was the work done?
them: yes, but he did $300 dollars in damage to the sprinkler system. here is the bill for the damage.
judge [to you]: did you cause the damage to the sprinklers?
you: yes.
judge: i rule for the plaintiff in the amount of $300, minus $300 for the damage to the sprinklers.

spurtster

So there is no point in suing then, if I read correctly. Would judge grant filing fees or service costs?

Do they have to prove that I did the damage or show anything else. There were only a few plastic pipes broken. It can't be $300.

How would I prove I did the work if they for example said they don't know me or something...

longneck said:
you don't need a contract. send them a bill. if you don't get paid, take them to court. here is how it will go:

you: i did work. i billed them $300. they didn't pay the bill.
judge [to them]: was the work done?
them: yes, but he did $300 dollars in damage to the sprinkler system. here is the bill for the damage.
judge [to you]: did you cause the damage to the sprinklers?
you: yes.
judge: i rule for the plaintiff in the amount of $300, minus $300 for the damage to the sprinklers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">