• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner's Association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjm_34

What is the name of your state? California

My downstairs neighbor sued me and my homeowner's association claiming that a leak in my upstairs unit caused damage to her ceiling. Ultimately, the small claims judge determined that the HOA was at fault since I was a brand new homeowner and not negligent in any manner. Now, the HOA is appealing the $5000 judgment and we all have to go back to court for a Trial De Novo. My question is: The original Notice Of Entry of Judgment shows the small claims judge entered the verdict as two separate lawsuits. The judge ruled in my favor and against my neighbor, then the judge ruled for my neighbor and against the HOA. Now that the HOA is appealing, does it really affect me since I am not appealing my judgment? What are the chances that this new hearing can result in a whole new judgment against me and not the HOA?

racer72

If each case had it's own docket number, you have nothing to worry about. It happens quite often when 2 or more cases are combined for trial if the testimony applies to all the cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">