• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horse Thief?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coho

What is the name of your state? Washington. A year ago, I gave a quarter horse mare to a friend that I had worked with for several years (I'll call the friend DR). I had taken this mare as partial trade for a horse that I was selling. I allowed the purchaser $800 off the price of the sale. The mare had an injury that caused an intermittent lameness and to be sometimes difficult to ride. I had the mare a year hoping the injury would ressolve with time off; it did not. DR said she would take the mare and use her for a broodmare. I agreed and said that I would like to have a foal back at some point for GIVING her the mare. She agreed. There was nothing put in writing - it was a "Gentleladies Agreement".
The mare foaled a month ago, DR said that there was no such agreement and she can no longer afford to keep the mare, and has sold her and the foal. I have a Bill of Sale for this mare from the previous owner. DR has nothing. I would like to have THIS foal since DR is obviously not going to be breeding the mare again. What are my legal rights? Do I have a case for small claims? I do not want to spend a lot of money to retrieve this foal, but I also do not want DR to have the satisfaction of getting her way and profitting from this. Thanks for any advice.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">