• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mm84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had jewelry stolen from a Hilton in California.
I informed the manager and the police, but the housekeeping person told the manager that she did not see or take anything.
The police said they were too understaffed to investigate jewelry theft. The jewelry was pretty dear to me.
The manager filed an insurance claim with the hotels insurance, the hotel insurance just denied it saying their investigation shows they are not liable.

I am pretty upset and would like to file a small claims case, I have proof of purchase of the jewelry. Do i have decent chances to win?

Thanks for the advise

quincy

I informed the manager and the police, but the housekeeping person told the manager that she did not see or take anything.
The police said they were too understaffed to investigate jewelry theft. The jewelry was pretty dear to me.
The manager filed an insurance claim with the hotels insurance, the hotel insurance just denied it saying their investigation shows they are not liable.

I am pretty upset and would like to file a small claims case, I have proof of purchase of the jewelry. Do i have decent chances to win?

Thanks for the advise
Do you have a decent chance to win? Probably not.

Hotels are generally not held responsible for items a guest leaves behind in their hotel room. Items of value should either be kept in the hotel's safe or taken with you when you leave the room. A notice stating this is often posted in the rooms.

Here is a link that provides an overview of hotel liability in the United States: http://lawdigest.uslegal.com/travel/hotel-liability/7315/

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can guaran-dang-tee you that there were notices posted in the hotel - both the lobby and the room itself - advising you to use the safe.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Thanks for the advise
And you have proof the housekeeper stole your piece? That you can prove you bought it means nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">