• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justaskingyou

washington

several months have gone by since our contract was closed.. the walk through and any deposits were returned. the homeowners are now claiming damage and serving us with papers to appear in court. Am I liable for anything since so much time has passed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

I've never heard of a statute of limitations that was only 'several months'. If you have been served, follow the instructions. Answer the complaint and hire a lawyer if you don't understand what you are getting into. Do not ignore a summons.

Banned_Princess

Bring your copy of the walkthrough, the check yu got back, the letter that you got "several months later" and hope for the best.

sandyclaus

washington

several months have gone by since our contract was closed.. the walk through and any deposits were returned. the homeowners are now claiming damage and serving us with papers to appear in court. Am I liable for anything since so much time has passed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Even though the deposits were returned, it is possible that after closer inspection, the LL found additional damages to the property that could be attributed to you. IF you were the cause of those damages, then you most certainly can be liable for the costs to repair them.

One wonders why it took the LL several months to notify you of these additional damages, and why the first indication that there was a problem came in the form of a lawsuit to recover said damages. (LL MUST have had your forwarding address if you also received your deposit back after moving out.) That is one point that I would explore. Did you take photos or video of the property when you moved out to document the condition? Did the LL complete a walkthrough document stating that the property was in acceptable condition to be re-rented? These could both be valuable evidence to support your position.

justaskingyou

actually had a 3rd party involved which was a rental agency that handled all things as the landlord, move in/out checklist was signed off by both parties.
we moved out because they wanted to sell the place. Supposedly there is pet damage to carpet/baseboards that supposedly wasn't discovered until the heat of summer.

upstate240sx

has there been any other tenants since you left, ?
i would question whether it was you , or the most recent tenants
also,

sounds like rubbish to me, i would bring you evidence of a final inspection being made and agreed upon, and the fact that your deposit was returned, and furthermore tell the judge that you havent recieved any notice of these alleged damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">