• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I recover personal loan from relative ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rs141

I'm from New Jersey.

About 6 months back I gave $5,000 personal loan to some distant relative. But now he's refusing to return it.

When I gave him loan, I wrote on check "Personal Loan". I am originally Australian and am new to US. Is there anyway I can recover this loan ? I heard there are some small claims courts etc..? Is there any such place in South Jersey in Camden County ?

Thanks in advance for yout help.

Regards

RS

compworkr

There are small claims courts there, but you would have to convince the judge that the money you gave was not a gift.

Do you have a copy of the check? Did you discuss the terms of the loan with your distant relative, i.e. make it clear that it was a loan and not a gift? If not, it will be your word against his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">