• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvday123

What is the name of your state? Wi

i had a a renter that i had to evict also charge for damages
I won the small claims action
But now its been years and havent seen a penny
I dont know where the guy is
So after, so many years does the small claim action expire,or does it gain intrest?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Wi

i had a a renter that i had to evict also charge for damages
I won the small claims action
But now its been years and havent seen a penny
I dont know where the guy is
So after, so many years does the small claim action expire,or does it gain intrest?
How many years? What did YOU do, to attempt to reclaim your money?

dcatz

The judgment is enforceable for 20 years and earns interest at 12% APR.

However, the collectibility of a debt or judgment declines linearly over time (because people move, die, woman marry and change names etc.) and, depending on the type of judgment, may be as low as 5-8% after 5 years.

If you evicted for nonpayment of rent, "it's been years", and you don't know the judgment debtor's location, you should ask yourself how much more you're willing to spend. Alternatives are judgment buyers (who will offer pennies on the dollar) or collection agencies (you wouldn't want those who would accept this).

luvday123

The amount was $837.64 the year was 2001
The small claims action was against a male tentant
if, i have to spend more then its worth to collect ....its better not to do anything
but then it makes you think twice on small claims actions,filing again, because it
Cost you more then its worth! Thanks for the replies

dcatz

I can understand disappointment and frustration, but I would respectfully submit that it emphasizes the need to take action on judgments more than it does a failure in the system. The judgment was yours to enforce. The 7-year lapse couldn't have been imposed by the debtor.

racer72

You are going to find out why about 75% of all personal civil judgment are never collected. Suing is easy, collecting is work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">