• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to collect on a judgement in IL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trying4all

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I sued someone and received a judgement in my favor in September 2007. Since then, the debtor only paid me one payment towards the total debt. At the time she didn't have job, but I have since learned that she is remarried and may be working.

I want to proceed with a formal collections process including wage garnishment. What is my next step since I have the judgement?

Thanks for your help.

JETX

As part of the judgment, the other party should have disclosed their financials. Take the judgment order to the bank, place of work, wherever there's money and take everything you can.
Ignore EVERYTHING this nitwit 'advises'. It is 110% pile of Pelosi!!
There is NO requirement in your state for the debtor to disclose "as part of the judgment".... unless ordered by the court.
You CANNOT take the judgment to the bank or anywhere else and "take everything you can". You have to follow your state laws and rules as to the processes available to enforce a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">