• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I collect a judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aliasamara

What is the name of your state? IL

I have a packet of forms used in small claims collections. Do I send copies to the court and to the defendent in order to collect? The judge ordered payment, but did not stipulate a payment schedule, and the defendant has not paid anything. The judgement was made in August.

JETX

aliasamara said:
I have a packet of forms used in small claims collections. Do I send copies to the court and to the defendent in order to collect?
Depends on what this 'packet of forms' consists of.

The court does not provide for payment of the judgment. That process is up to you, using the laws as allowed by your state.

One of the first methods of trying to enforce an Illinois judgment is to file a Citation to Discover Assets petition. A Citation to Discover Assets is a court order to appear after a judgment has been entered against you. It gives you the chance to find out if the defendant is financially able to make payments on the judgment that was entered against him.
You can then use the information obtained to garnish his wages, levy against bank accounts, or seize any non-exempt assets the debtor owns.

I also suggest you read and follow the procedures as set by your state laws. They (Code of Civil Procedures, Chapter 14) can be found online at:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=073500050HArt.+II+Pt.+14&ActID=2017&ChapAct=735 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=56&ChapterName=CIVIL+PROCEDURE&SectionID=61953&SeqStart=16200&SeqEnd=16700&ActName=Code+of+Civil+Procedure.

Also, you can consider using the services of one of the parties at:
http://www.enforcemyjudgment.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=search&infield=your_state&words=Illinois&search=Search

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">