• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do I Collect On A Judgement In Louisiana?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floyd long

Louisiana...the state of the Napolianic code.
I won a small claims suit and a judgement. The defendants won't even talk to me. I know where they work and live but little else. What are some options on collecting my money? I talked to the clerk about garnishment and was told I need to get a lawyer blah blah. After his fees I will get nothing. Is there another way? Something I can do on my own?

Thanks,

F. LongWhat is the name of your state?

racer72

Go to a decent bookstore and find a book by Nolo Press on the small claims process for your state. Buy it and do exactly what it says.

JETX

floyd long said:
Is there another way? Something I can do on my own?
Yes, there are LOTS of things you can do...
One is that you can request a "judgment debtor examination" with the court. It costs $70 to have the court order the debtor to tell you about his property and income. You can then start trying to collect the judgment by garnishing their wages or bank accounts, or trying to locate the personal property described by the debtor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">