• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I collect on a judgement in SC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trying4all

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I live in Illinois and I sued someone who lives in South Carolina. I filed my lawsuit by mail and received a default judgement in my favor. I have two questions:

1. What should my next step be? The Clerk sent me a brochure saying I should have the judgement filed, then after 10 days, I should submit an Execution Against Property form if I wish to have the Sheriff's office make a formal demand for the payment in full or make payment arrangements with the debtor on my behalf. (The Sheriff cannot garnish wages, though.) I know that the debtor will not cooperate or will lie and prolong this process, and I basically want to just proceed with wage garnishment. Do I have the judgement filed, wait 10 days, then contact his employer myself? I'm not sure what to do next.

2. In South Carolina I'm also able to get accrued interest on my judgement based on how long the person has owed me. Does this interest start when the person first borrowed money from me or does it only accrue after the judgement was made. If before, how do I indicate this on the paperwork I send his employer?

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

JETX

The judgment creditor (the party who has won judgment) must take affirmative steps to collect the judgment amount; the Court will not collect for the judgment creditor. The Small Claims Court judgment becomes final and enforceable 30 days after the clerk has delivered or mailed the "Notice of Entry of Judgment" (SC-130). The "Notice of Entry of Judgment" date of mailing will be stamped on the form itself. If the defendant files an appeal and loses, the judgment becomes enforceable after transfer of the case from superior court to the Small Claims Court. This transfer usually occurs within 10 days.
IGNORE THIS IDIOT!!

He has NO knowledge or education of the law. This is PROVEN by the simple fact that his post is nothing but a cut-n-paste from a website in CALIFORNIA which has NOTHING to do with South Carolina!!!
Here is where he got his random drooling:
How do I collect my judgment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">