• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I collect a judgment from someone who moved out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darmida29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

To Whom It May Concern:
I recently won a judgment for a small claims case filed in Rockland County, NY. I was awarded the county’s maximum limit of $3,000 plus any additional fees I may incur throughout the collection process. Shortly after I was awarded the judgment, the defendant moved to Florida. I filed a transcript of judgment in Rockland County, NY and was told that I needed to request an exemplified judgment in order to collect my settlement in Florida. I’ve been informed that the exemplified judgment has been approved and signed by the judge. My question has two parts. First, what are the next steps I need to follow in order to collect my judgment from the defendant in Florida? Also, should I need to hire an attorney, can I hire and attorney in New York to settle my affairs or do I need to obtain representation from an attorney in Florida? I would appreciate any assistance you could offer me in this matter.

Now that you have an exemplified judgment, you need to file in the appropriate county in Florida to have the judgment registered in Florida.

JETX

Now that you have an exemplified judgment, you need to file in the appropriate county in Florida to have the judgment registered in Florida.
And of course, that is NOT true. A 'judgment lien certificate' is filed with the state.

It would be best to read the guidelines for the particular county in Florida about domesticating a foreign judgment. However, in Broward County which is in Florida and where I domesticated a judgment from Maryland, you can use either a certified or exemplified judgment. See below.

Broward County - Records Division

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">