• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i file a claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aambrose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
She lives in Pennsylvania and I'm in NJ. She wont give me my laptop back after I loaned it to her. How do I start to sue her? Where do I file?

aambrose

it was at her mothers home in Vineland, NJ. She is moving to Hazelton, PA on Sept 1. I live in Middletown, NJ. Do i file in Middletown or Vineland

JETX

it was at her mothers home in Vineland, NJ. She is moving to Hazelton, PA on Sept 1. I live in Middletown, NJ. Do i file in Middletown or Vineland
Okay, let's look at this....
1) You can file in whatever county 'Vineland' is in and, if the defendant challenges due to venue, will probably have a pretty good chance for keeping it there since that is where the contract was entereed.

2) You can file in whatever county "Middletown' is in and, if the defendant challenges due to venue, you have less chance of success since there is nothing to tie the contract to your location.

3) You can file in whatever county 'Hazelton' is in and it would unlikely that she would challenge that one at all.

Finally, if you sue anywhere but where her non-exempt assets (if any) are located you will have to domesticate the NJ judgment to PA to get at those assets.

Your call on what risks you are willing to take (on a venue challenge) and consider the risks of domestication.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">