• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i get the defendant to pay the judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrGuerito26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

2 years ago i won a judgment and the defendant refuses to pay, what can i do to get the defendant to pay up? Defendant owes me $4500.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Garnish his wages.
Levy any bank accounts.
Sieze assets and have them sold.
Hire a guy named Vito to put some "pressure" on the debtor.
Place a lien on his property.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

2 years ago i won a judgment and the defendant refuses to pay, what can i do to get the defendant to pay up? Defendant owes me $4500.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If the person didn't pay voluntarily BEFORE you got the judgment, what makes you think they are going to do so AFTER?

What you don't seem to understand is that a court can order a JUDGEMENT, but they cannot force the debtor to pay it. Collecting the judgment amount is on you, the creditor.

Garnish his wages.
Levy any bank accounts.
Sieze assets and have them sold.
Hire a guy named Vito to put some "pressure" on the debtor.
Place a lien on his property.
These are some of the methods used to collect a judgment. Some require special forms or requests through the court, so you will need to look into that.

You could also hire a collection agency to pursue collection efforts on your behalf, but they will charge you a fee and/or a portion of the amount they successfully collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">