• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I handle this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meg939

California

I had two roommates who abandoned the apartment without signing a lease break after agreeing to do so. Since rent was due in three days, I worked it out with management where I would not be evicted but I would just leave the apartment so they could rent it out. Everything was settled where the final bill came to about $1400, I paid my half immediately. It has been over 9 months and they have not paid anything. They have been informed they need to pay and the exact amount they need to pay. The collection agency said each member on the lease is 100% liable for the bill and they cannot take me off. The apartment complex itself said they could not take me off, that it would require legal action and an lawyer.

I'm very lost and cannot afford to pay their bill, especially since I paid mine the moment I received it. I don't know what my next legal step should be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">