• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I handle a summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acs70

What is the name of your state? Michigan.
I had a period of time where I was in the hospital alot. I finally paid all of my past medical bills with my tax return or so I thought. Well I received a letter from a lawyer saying I still owed $599.79 for a hospital. I wrote to him and asked for more info because I thought I had payed everyone. He sent back some random numbers that mean nothing to me and I set it aside, because I work full time go to school full time and I'm a single mom. I was waiting to find some time to research it more, well last week i received a summons saying I'm being sued. What do I do, I can't afford a lawyer, if I owe it I will pay it but I just wanted to make sure I owe it. Can this still be settled out of court? I don't know how to answer this summons, do I need an attorney? I would appriciate any help.
Thanks!

JETX

acs70 said:
What do I do, I can't afford a lawyer, if I owe it I will pay it but I just wanted to make sure I owe it. Can this still be settled out of court? I don't know how to answer this summons, do I need an attorney? I would appriciate any help.
The answers depend on what you WANT to do. If you want to pay it, then contact the attorney. If you don't want to pay or dispute the amount, then file a denial and ask for them to prove their case in court. Show up on the date/time set by the court and present your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">