• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i know my iou is valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

v281021

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york state

Last year Feburary a co-worker purchased from me $1500 worth of shoes. i do personal shopping. She came up with an excuse not to pay (her husbands acct. was hit for dead beat dad fines?)and i then offered a payment plan at $200 per week. she wrote out the payment schedule and then signed it. But she doesn't state in the IOU, in writing; " I will pay ...the following". She then took off and disappeared. She is on disability from work and is due to come back soon. Grapevine says her health is stable. She will not return calls and has no name or address listed anywhere. Does the IOU count? Will it hold up as good evidence for small claims court? Do i even need evidence for small claims court? What do i do if i can't find her to be served? Will taking her to small claims court guarantee me payment or could she still get away with it? Am i too late? Is there a statute of limitations? She was a cancer patient in treatment. Can that allow her to get away with it? More people have stated she has done the same to them for lesser amounts. She secretly falsely accused me of selling stolen goods at my job's security dept. before leaving on disability. I think she's a con artist. Can i press criminal charges?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">