• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I serve someone when they have a no contact order against me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaine

have a no contact order with my ex. She owes me $7,500. The no contact order was brought in Washington state and now we both live in Oregon state. I want to take her to small claims court but I don't know her new address. How do I go about getting her new address and not violate my no contact order? Waiting until the no contact order is up isn't an option and I cannot afford an attorney.

justalayman

I have no idea how the no contact order prevents you from obtaining her address. Maybe you could enlighten me.

kaine

I have no idea how the no contact order prevents you from obtaining her address. Maybe you could enlighten me.
well a no contact order says that i cant try to "contact" her through third party means. so if i dont have her address then i would need to obtain it to put on the paperwork and to serve her. But the no contact order would basically prohibit this. i was charged with violating my no contact order in washington state because while i was in the court house actually fighting the no contact order, i already had one AGAINST her in oregon, i had walked by her,(i was coming out of the elevator and she was coming down the stairs), and she claimed that i mumbled to her under my breath, which i didnt. so with this situation im not taking any chances. i just want the money she owes me and really if i had the resources id hire a lawyer and not even be part of this process if that was possible.

justalayman

You need to check the limitations of the order. If you have a valid suit (not something done simply to harass), the contact required for the suit is often allowed.

So, why can't this wait until the order expires?

kaine

You need to check the limitations of the order. If you have a valid suit (not something done simply to harass), the contact required for the suit is often allowed.

So, why can't this wait until the order expires?
its a valid suit. she got the no contact order to try to get out of paying me. its a 100 year order.

Last edited:

kaine

You should definitely wait till the NcO is expired.

you didn't try to tell your criminal Judge your civil problem?
this was a district court situation all about the civil problem. thats why she got a no contact order. it became a criminal matter because the state picked up the no contact order and ran with it. i never got arrested until the state picked it up 2 months later.

Banned_Princess

year ago. they wrote it in by hand. im sure.
how could you have been served with a hand written 100 year order, that you never went to court for.

what did you do that got you a 1 0 0 year order to stay away from, in civil court.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=61

which of these protection order was it...

I was even able to find this flow chart, for your convenience

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/documents/What PO to File.pdf

That was amazingly easy to google.

Proserpina

how could you have been served with a hand written 100 year order, that you never went to court for.

what did you do that got you a 1 0 0 year order to stay away from, in civil court.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=61

which of these protection order was it...

I was even able to find this flow chart, for your convenience

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/documents/What PO to File.pdf

That was amazingly easy to google.

OP indicated that it's a criminal order now. It is possible for the State to hand down what are effectively lifetime orders once the matter turns criminal.

Still, I gotta ask - being a resident of this great state and all that - what the heck OP did...y'know?

(Because they do not hand those out willy-nilly!)

kaine

well its a long long story but....we had been together for 6 years and about to be married when she felt the need to go cheat before we married. so we broke up. during our relationship i had

excellent credit and a big line of credit. in order to build her credit we would buy stuff on her credit card then transfer it over to mine after a while, which built up her credit pretty quickly. when

we broke up i still owed around 15,000 on the car we had bought and i had around 15,000 of debt on my cards. she made the agreement with me that if i gave her all of our stuff, i.e. TV's,

computers, dvd players, furniture, etc. oh and the engagement ring(three stone, platinum band, custom made), she would pay me 15,000 dollars. that was roughly 1/3 or 1/4 the price of all our

of stuff new, not to mention all the debt she racked up with shopping etc. i agreed. im not dumb i never thought she would actually pay the full 15,000 but i did think she would pay some of it.

enough that i could pick up some extra shifts and not fall behind. well she never paid a penny. oh and we both lived in washington state, when we broke up i moved to oregon and she stayed in

washington. instead about a month after the agreement she went down and filed a no contact order. she told me it would keep me from getting my stuff back and not allow me to sue her. so i

hired a laywer to represent me in the no contact hearing and to sue her. 2 months after she filed the order i went in to the hearing. the police were already in the court room waiting. the judge

heard the case and ruled against me. he said although you have an eye witness who i believe i feel the need to keep this order in place. she claimed that i came to her apartment we argued

and she ran outside where i grabbed her by the shoulder and brought her back in then after talking for a few seconds after that i left. she never called the police and i never got arrested. what

she didnt know was that my friend was outside in the car and saw that none of that ever happend. well as soon as the judge ruled on the case the deputy walked out of the court room and

waited until i walked out of the court room, which i knew that i was gonna be arrested. the way the judge pushed my hearing to last and the cops sitting in the juror box. so i get arrested for

assault 4 and res. burg. oh and violation of no contact order. that was at the first hearing i went to. well i couldnt believe i was being arrested and i couldnt believe the charges!! well i bailed

out and hired a lawyer. about two weeks later, no new evidence, my charges were changed to assault 2nd and burglary 1st. now i was totally in a daze. they were talking about 3 years in

prison!! well like i said no actual evidence of anything besides the no contact order. i find out at discovery my ex actually went in to try to recant but the deputy said he knows about victims of

domestic violence so he talked her out of it and "lost" his notes on what exactly she said. i have never been charged with a DV and cops have never been to our house because of a fight! she

visited her parents away from me frequently and had 2 doctors she went to regularly. no past of DV's is my point. well i went to trial and was found not guilty of the assault but guilty of the

burg. dont ask me why they ever even charged me with a burg. and dont ask me why the jury found me not guilty of the assault but guilty of the burg? i dont understand that at all. so thats

why the have a 100 year no contact order. so now i really need some of that money to file my bankruptcy and pay the fines. i know i could lose but i have the actual contract she wrote

promising to pay me the money. it lists the stuff she took and how she would pay. i lost my good credit, 739, my job, my car, my dogs, my freedom and my life, figuratively and almost

literally. so thats the whole story. after what washington did to me i want to really cover my butt when i take her to small claims. i have never broken my no contact order!! i have never tried

to call her or contact her! i want nothing to do with her except i do want the money she promised she would give me. i live in oregon again and last i heard she moved to oregon also. i know i

can easily just go online and get her information but i want to be careful. cant i just have the court find the info and serve her without me having to get it? oh and my appeal was denied

because "although the jury found you not guilty of the assault 2nd they may have thought there was a lesser assault." which of course means even though you were found not guilty your still

guilty? so any and all help to figure this out and maybe get some actual justice is appreciated. washington state really needs a grand jury.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">