• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I subpoena payroll info. from plaintiff & State of Calif.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mbkelly

California
I am appealing a small claim judgment in Palmdale, Calif. I would like to subpoena plaintiff's payroll records, and the same from the State's Employment Development Dept (EDD). How would I go about doing this, and what kind of affidavit do I need to accompany the suboena?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mbkelly said:
California
I am appealing a small claim judgment in Palmdale, Calif. I would like to subpoena plaintiff's payroll records, and the same from the State's Employment Development Dept (EDD). How would I go about doing this, and what kind of affidavit do I need to accompany the suboena?

My response:

Special notice must be given where "personal records" of a "consumer" or "employment records" are sought by subpoena duces tecum served on the custodian of such records; and the person whose records are being subpoenaed is entitled to a hearing before delivery of such records. [See Ca Civ Pro §§ 1985.3, 1985.6, 1985.7

Special notice and procedures are required for production of the "personal records" of a "consumer," to protect that person's right of privacy. The purpose is to give that person the opportunity to seek a court order to quash or limit the subpoena before the records are disclosed. [See Ca Civ Pro § 1985.3(e), next to last sentence]

IAAL

M

mbkelly

Thank you IAAL! It sound like this procedure would be a little too much for a small claims actions. Is it possible to subpoena his personal records, and/or require him to bring them to court; or is this too covered by the same civil procedures?
After all he is suing me and since he has not offered to produce such records, it would seem like a simple thing to request that he bring proof of the # of employees and hours he expended on my job. I believe he will not volunteer this info because I believe he is lying.
Kelly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">