• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do we get our money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucythecat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We obtained a judgement against an person who we gave money to for parts to replace our central air unit. Never showed up, returned calls or anything. His wife was served (she withheld her name, but they took a description) and he did not show up for court today.

Do we have to wait 30 days to give them the chance to file an appeal before we contact them about this judgement? Their house has been foreclosed on and I am sure they have no intent of ever paying us back, the money they "stole". We want to both contact them as well as our local news investigation team but don't know if they have an option of appealing saying that we are "harassing" them.

They cashed the check, but he did it through our bank, not his own and we believe that they do not have a bank account since there are other judgements against them.

What is the best way of effectively going after them to get our money? This has been going on over 2 months, and don't want to have to wait another 30 days to obtain a writ of execution.

racer72

This has been going on over 2 months, and don't want to have to wait another 30 days to obtain a writ of execution.
Please choose the answer of your choice.

Contact your state senators and representatives and have them call an emergency meeting of the state legislature and have the law that gives the respondant of civil court action 30 days repealed. Be sure to bug the governor so he will sign this emergency legislation.

OR

Sorry, the laws apply to everyone equally. You have no choice but to wait. And based on your post, I would not hold my breath too long when it comes to getting your money back. You will likely find out why 75% of personal civil judgments are never fully collected, 50% collect nothing.

lucythecat

I was referring to waiting to contact them. We haven't contacted them while we were waiting for the lawsuit to go to court. We were going to contact them but don't want them to claim "harassment" and appeal.

Appreciate the sarcasm. Really.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">