• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does TV Small Claims work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

Judge Mathis here I come! I live in New Jersey but I've contacted a big television judge show in New York and they're hot to televise my case. You've all seem them. From here it looks like a Go >>>

I'd like to know if you know how these cases, or shows are executed. As of now it looks like I'm going to be on one of these shows. The basics of the case are I hired someone in Boston to do some film PR work for me. On his website he says what he does, and he seemed ok so there's no contract although I printed out from his website what he's all about.

I wrote him a check for $500.00 for a month's work. He must be a lunatic or something because a week into the project he became hysterical during a telephone call thus effectively ending the business relationship as far as I am concerned. How can you do business with someone like this?

I've also put the New Jersey police detectives on his phone for harassing me with phone calls trying to intimidate me by saying, "oh this never happened to me" and "I run things up here in Boston" and things like this.

I've been told I'm getting chauffeured in to the TV studio and so is my Expert Witness who lives in Suffolk Cty in Long Island, New York. Plus they're FLYING 'the Crook' in from Boston. Taping is scheduled as early as next week.

What I'm asking is aside from the invaluable exposure this is going to provide for my work, am I going to get financially compensated for being on the show win, lose or draw? How much? Along with my Expert Witness? Will the Crook get paid as well? They're flying him in from Boston to New York; I guess it's hard to get crooked defendants to appear on National Television. Thank you for your help and insight! :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? New York

Judge Mathis here I come! I live in New Jersey but I've contacted a big television judge show in New York and they're hot to televise my case. You've all seem them. From here it looks like a Go >>>

I'd like to know if you know how these cases, or shows are executed. As of now it looks like I'm going to be on one of these shows. The basics of the case are I hired someone in Boston to do some film PR work for me. On his website he says what he does, and he seemed ok so there's no contract although I printed out from his website what he's all about.

I wrote him a check for $500.00 for a month's work. He must be a lunatic or something because a week into the project he became hysterical during a telephone call thus effectively ending the business relationship as far as I am concerned. How can you do business with someone like this?

I've also put the New Jersey police detectives on his phone for harassing me with phone calls trying to intimidate me by saying, "oh this never happened to me" and "I run things up here in Boston" and things like this.

I've been told I'm getting chauffeured in to the TV studio and so is my Expert Witness who lives in Suffolk Cty in Long Island, New York. Plus they're FLYING 'the Crook' in from Boston. Taping is scheduled as early as next week.

What I'm asking is aside from the invaluable exposure this is going to provide for my work, am I going to get financially compensated for being on the show win, lose or draw? How much? Along with my Expert Witness? Will the Crook get paid as well? They're flying him in from Boston to New York; I guess it's hard to get crooked defendants to appear on National Television. Thank you for your help and insight! :D

These all sound like questions you sould ask the producers of the show...

They're busy enough! I'm still trying to TALK my way onto the show, that's why I pose the questions here. I figure someone here knows the answers.

fairisfair

Yeah, Ed McMahon contacted me and wants to give me $10,000,000.00

Are you sure they said Judy, and not Jerry??

justalayman

Oh my, I feel so small. The power you yield is so great that I just shudder at the thought of it. Will you ever actually reveal this earth shattering news to us low folk. Oh how I so hope you do. I don;t know what I'll do if you don;t tell us.

they're hot to televise my case.
I'm still trying to TALK my way onto the show
Doesn;t sound like they're so hot for your case to me.

But earlier you have a complete itinerary for all involved.

Make up your mind.

You've just got to tell us when it will be on. I need a good laugh. Life has been so distressing lately.

Now I really love this part:

What I'm asking is aside from the invaluable exposure this is going to provide for my work
I haven't seen too many folks come off that show looking good. Most are made to look like fools in the name of television ratings. You must not have ever really watched those shows.

You Are Guilty

I can't speak for all of them, but on People's Court, there is a $5k "fund" for each case that is used to pay any "judgments" (so that nothing will ever come out of a participant's pocket). If there is any money left over afterwards, it is split 50-50 between the parties. I have heard that the other shows operate similarly, albeit with different fund amounts.

But the producers of each of them send out many, many more "feelers" than there ever will be actual filmed cases - just because you may have gotten the letter/phone call from them doesn't mean your going to actually be on the show.

I can't speak for all of them, but on People's Court, there is a $5k "fund" for each case that is used to pay any "judgments" (so that nothing will ever come out of a participant's pocket). If there is any money left over afterwards, it is split 50-50 between the parties. I have heard that the other shows operate similarly, albeit with different fund amounts.

But the producers of each of them send out many, many more "feelers" than there ever will be actual filmed cases - just because you may have gotten the letter/phone call from them doesn't mean your going to actually be on the show.
Are you saying each case has a budget of 5k? So if I win my $701.00 "judgement" then the remaining $4,299.00will be split between the defendant and me? That appears to me a bit hefty amount for each separate case You Are Guilty.

And btw the Judge Judy just sent a messenger over here just a minute ago to pick up relevant materials, a video, promotionals etc so that bolsters my chances of actually getting filmed. What do you think? PLUS they already told me they're flying in the Defendant all the way in from Boston for the Taping. They faxed me a release last night which I immediately signed and returned, plenty of phone calls back and forth with me day and night....

So far all these "feelers" are feeling pretty good for me to get taped. Thank you for your input You Are Guilty. I hope you're right about the Funding Amount, but that seems a bit hefty to me-$5,000.00 for each individual case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">