• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find trial de novo attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kf7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California, Los Angeles

How can I find a low cost attorney for a trial de novo? I'm not rich, so I'm looking in the $500 range (I'll file all court documents and handle the process server myself). So it's just for the legal fee. Or do I need to spend a lot more, which I don't have? I need someone to show up and represent me at the appeal. I doubt the free legal aid places will appear in court, and I'm leary about using Craig's List. Most of those "Bar" type web sites offer referrals to full service attorneys, which I can't afford.

I think my best shot at winning is to find someone who's familiar with the small claims court system in Los Angeles who can work for a low fee. But how do I find someone? Any ideas? Thanks!

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California, Los Angeles

How can I find a low cost attorney for a trial de novo? I'm not rich, so I'm looking in the $500 range (I'll file all court documents and handle the process server myself). So it's just for the legal fee. Or do I need to spend a lot more, which I don't have? I need someone to show up and represent me at the appeal. I doubt the free legal aid places will appear in court, and I'm leary about using Craig's List. Most of those "Bar" type web sites offer referrals to full service attorneys, which I can't afford.

I think my best shot at winning is to find someone who's familiar with the small claims court system in Los Angeles who can work for a low fee. But how do I find someone? Any ideas? Thanks!
Income based - sliding scale attorney firm ?

kf7

Thanks for the advice, but a firm attorney won't touch this for what I can pay even at sliding scale. There are a few small claims workshops that pop up infrequently I can attend to see, if there are any pro bono attorneys who would take this case for what I can pay. But I may not have enough time. I checked around the Internet and there's one that's in the middle of January 2012. But that may be too late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">