• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get belongings back Legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlbinford

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
A friend of mine leased an apartment in his name for me, he recently removed all of my furniture and will not return it. how can i legally get my furniture and personal belongings back?

sandyclaus

A friend of mine leased an apartment in his name for me, he recently removed all of my furniture and will not return it. how can i legally get my furniture and personal belongings back?
Your friend could be considered your LL, and you his subtenant. In a LL/T situation, Texas law does allow the LL to place a lien on any personal property and possess it in lieu of any unpaid rent balance due. And, in the event of abandonment, the LL can simply take possession of any property left behind.

So, did you have an unpaid rent balance? Did you move out of the property voluntarily and leave your personal property behind thinking you could return later to claim it?

HomeGuru

**A: there is a lot more to this story? Care to tell us the rest of the story?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">