• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get paid on a small claims win

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnotherSucker12

What is the name of your state (illinois)?

I need help in understanding on what really happens after I win a judgement. Basically my ex gf owe's me $3100, assuming I win the judgement can someone give me more detail as to what happens if she does not willingly pay the courts?

I am confident I will win the case because I have proof it was a loan but I am more concerned about her not showing up to court or even if she does...not paying. She rents her apartment, has a car payment on her car, but also attends school and has student loans (currently a bartender but going to school to become a teacher).

How can I force this into collections or have a debt collector force her to pay the settlement? Also is this anyway this would affect her credit? I think there is a chance she will pay if she thinks that it will affect her credit and getting student loans in the future.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (illinois)?

I need help in understanding on what really happens after I win a judgement. Basically my ex gf owe's me $3100, assuming I win the judgement can someone give me more detail as to what happens if she does not willingly pay the courts?

I am confident I will win the case because I have proof it was a loan but I am more concerned about her not showing up to court or even if she does...not paying. She rents her apartment, has a car payment on her car, but also attends school and has student loans (currently a bartender but going to school to become a teacher).

How can I force this into collections or have a debt collector force her to pay the settlement? Also is this anyway this would affect her credit? I think there is a chance she will pay if she thinks that it will affect her credit and getting student loans in the future.

Hasn't this already been answered?

She'll still be able to get student loans. You can of course sell the judgment to a debt collection agency, but you won't get the full amount of the judgment obviously.

The bottom line is that realistically she cannot be FORCED to pay. She could, for example, simply declare bankruptcy and that would be the end of it.

Banned_Princess

I;m sure the link I posted 2x on your other thread states that the courts can award money, but they will not MAKE anyone pay.

I think you might as well let this go, or spend the next 20 years trying to collect on a bad debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">