• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Get a Warrant in Debt against a LLC Dismissed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

likestotweet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia

A previous client ordered lighting design from my company for her wedding. I set up the lighting the morning of the wedding. Later on that day, the hotel that she had the wedding at removed all of the lighting after I left because they said it was a fire hazard. The client wants a full refund from me now. My company is a limited liability company operating under a fictitious name or dba. When I received the warrant in debt, it only listed my fictitious name and not the legal name or the llc name. Can I have it dismissed on the grounds that it was served incorrectly?

FlyingRon

You can make that claim, but the suit will be trivially amended to be correct. The judge will just order the clerk to correct the pleading to the actual LLC rather than the DBA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">