• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to locate assets to collect on judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xhikita

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DE

Judgment issued on a contractor who was paid but did not perform the work. Can't do wage garnishment because as far as I know he is self-employed. Tried assets (car, tools) but his known business address was his previously rented apartment so he cannot be served. How could I locate this scumbag?:confused:

cosine

How did you find him to begin with to have "hired" him to do work? Did he advertise? Whatever that is, put yourself into the mindset of "I need to hire a contractor" and hunt around. If you find any business you think might be him, have a friend contact them to "hire" for work to see if that is him.

Or he might have found a real job for now (it happens). If you have an idea of what his skills might be, if he has any (aside from shafting people), call contractors who would have that kind of people working for them and ask for him by name. If he works there, they might let on. Then go for the wage garnishment (he might then quit so it might be worthwhile to first see if he has a bank account).

Or he may have moved out of town or out of state. There are a bunch of these coming back from the gulf area now that Katrina is long past and the area was devastated economically due to the oil spill. They are accustomed to moving around to find another mark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">