• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long before can't sure anymore for back rent in my state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatcanyoudo

Topic Title SURE = SUE my apologies
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello. My roommate owes me money for rent I paid on his behalf because he didn't pay it about 5k. I have all proof of my payments and from landlord etc. He lived with me for a whole year under verbal agreement he pay me the money back at end of lease when he was getting large amount of money from inheritance. He bailed out on me as soon as he got the money and I finally found where he is living and he has employment. It has to this day been 4 years.

Is there a statute limitations for taking him to court for the money? Took me so long because he left the state and he had no job. Now he's back and has a good job. I spoke with him directly and he says he thought I was just paying the rent for him to be nice (yeah right).

Many thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Topic Title SURE = SUE my apologies
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello. My roommate owes me money for rent I paid on his behalf because he didn't pay it about 5k. I have all proof of my payments and from landlord etc. He lived with me for a whole year under verbal agreement he pay me the money back at end of lease when he was getting large amount of money from inheritance. He bailed out on me as soon as he got the money and I finally found where he is living and he has employment. It has to this day been 4 years.

Is there a statute limitations for taking him to court for the money? Took me so long because he left the state and he had no job. Now he's back and has a good job. I spoke with him directly and he says he thought I was just paying the rent for him to be nice (yeah right).

Many thanks
You have 6 years to sue on an oral contract.

swalsh411

This might not be as easy as you think. Are you both on the lease? How do you plan to refute if he claims you were letting him live with you because you are a nice guy? A reasonable person would have gotten a promise to pay you back in writing. The fact that you did not lends support to his claim that there never was an agreement.

Proserpina

This might not be as easy as you think. Are you both on the lease? How do you plan to refute if he claims you were letting him live with you because you are a nice guy? A reasonable person would have gotten a promise to pay you back in writing. The fact that you did not lends support to his claim that there never was an agreement.

He doesn't have to be on the lease, and it looks like Op may have created a lease simply by virtue of the other guy being there for so long.

whatcanyoudo

We were both on lease. We had lived in the apartment for 3 years together. Prior years we always split 50/50. We each paid out of your own bank accounts. We have no relation besides friends, not family, dating, etc. We stayed together to make college cheaper by less rent. The last year he had a medical accident and couldn't go to college (no loan money, no job money). So I paid and he swore to pay me back and showed me proof of his inheritance on the way which he did get, just didn't give to me. didn't get anything in writing because didn't think he would do that. I thought I was SOL until he is now back and I watched couple Judge Judy cases (please don't laugh at that) and were roomies bickered about [oh so-so paid because they were just being nice) and she was like bull, no one does that. I didn't just pay thousands because I'm nice and rich. I used what I had left from my student loans, turned off cable, net etc lived on ramen. Lived miserably, but still lived. Plus he was going to give me an extra 1k for doing that, but at this point I just want what I paid.

Since I am good with 6 yrs, I'll at least try.

Proserpina

Well, given that small claims isn't expensive at all, you've really got nothing to lose.

Unfortunately getting the judgment - collecting it is a different matter entirely.

Start reading here: http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/courts-hearings/representing-yourself-in-court/small-claims/qandact_view

On the plus side, judgments can last an awfully long time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">