• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I have to file a claim legally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnotherSucker12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex owes me money for a security deposit on her apartment rent. After about a year of me trying to get her to pay me and her saying she'll pay me later when she has it or not respond I think the only way is to try to settle this legally.

I loaned her the money throughout 2010, throughout 2011 (end of 2011) she said she would pay me but never did. I've reached out multiple times with the last being in May 2012 (I have all of these messages saved). It's been over a year since I last reached out to her and about 20 months since she's written back saying she would pay me when she has it.

Legally have I lost my chance to get paid back since it's been so long? I've been so busy with work that I just have been putting off doing something legally. The amount is for $3100

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex owes me money for a security deposit on her apartment rent. After about a year of me trying to get her to pay me and her saying she'll pay me later when she has it or not respond I think the only way is to try to settle this legally.

I loaned her the money throughout 2010, throughout 2011 (end of 2011) she said she would pay me but never did. I've reached out multiple times with the last being in May 2012 (I have all of these messages saved). It's been over a year since I last reached out to her and about 20 months since she's written back saying she would pay me when she has it.

Legally have I lost my chance to get paid back since it's been so long? I've been so busy with work that I just have been putting off doing something legally. The amount is for $3100
http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/smlclaims.html

And much, much more via google. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">