• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long do I have to pay off a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ownlee1gadut

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently had a judgement posted against me and my brother shared...$3000.00. I am a home owner, and the debtee has sent a letter to me demanding payment and threatening with garnishments and property liens, etc. How soon must i have this paid, or start making payments?

Please help!!
ownlee1gadut

dcatz

You had 10 court days after entry of judgment (which probably occurred on the date of hearing) to file a Notice of Appeal to the Circuit Court. If you didn’t do that or “recently” was more than 10 days, the judgment is enforceable now, and the judgment creditor has the right to request and file an Abstract of Judgment (to lien real property), request a writ of fieri facias to seize personal property and/or a garnishment summons to go after bank accounts and/or wages. Then, it's just a question of the time needed to issue those.

The judgment is good for 20 years but is not renewable.

If the judgment is presently enforceable and you want to avoid involuntary enforcement and liens, it would behoove you to promptly contact the judgment creditor to try to establish a voluntary plan. You have nothing to lose by trying.

ownlee1gadut

thank you

your answer to my question is most helpful. I will do just that. I am sure he will be receptive to a payment plan. I was most concerned that I was going to have to pay the full amount, which I do not have. So a payment plan is definetely something I can do.
Thank you again.
ownlee1gadut

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">