• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to I have to wait?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoMTrue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My roommate and I signed a lease agreement for 1 year. At the end of August, they left, and I'm having difficulty maintaining all the bills plus the full month's rent. Do I have to wait until the end of the lease to sue for half for the remainder of the lease?

CSO286

My roommate and I signed a lease agreement for 1 year. At the end of August, they left, and I'm having difficulty maintaining all the bills plus the full month's rent. Do I have to wait until the end of the lease to sue for half for the remainder of the lease?
When did you sign said lease?

Just Blue

Have you tried to get another roommate? How long is left on the lease?

BoMTrue

It was signed near the end of May 2013 for June 2013 through June 2014. I have tried but I'm a single father and I just don't want anybody in the house with me and my children.

Just Blue

It was signed near the end of May 2013 for June 2013 through June 2014. I have tried but I'm a single father and I just don't want anybody in the house with me and my children.
Is that why the roommate left? 'Cause you don't want anybody in the house with you and children??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sorry, that should have said I don't want just anybody.

Also, roommate means estranged spouse.
The proper lawsuit is a DIVORCE. This could be considered marital debt. However as you are getting the benefit of the lease then you will be most likely responsible for the payment of the rent. Have you filed for child support, custody, and divorce?
Are you going to pay half your spouse's rent? After all you are still married and therefore what is good for one is good for the other.

BoMTrue

Divorce take a year. Have to be separated for that long.

She's refused to sign any separation agreements or even work with a mediator.

Filed for child support about 3 weeks ago now but that'll take awhile to go through. I won't get much because I do make more than she does.

I've been paying the rent and everything else like I should, but I'm left with nothing. I was paid Friday and have less than $100 today, and that's just paying bills, groceries, and paying for their school lunches.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Filed for child support about 3 weeks ago now but that'll take awhile to go through. I won't get much because I do make more than she does.

I've been paying the rent and everything else like I should, but I'm left with nothing. I was paid Friday and have less than $100 today, and that's just paying bills, groceries, and paying for their school lunches.
This is not a landlord/tenant situation. Nor roommates. It is a divorce. This is your spouse -- estranged or not. You are going to have to find ways to cut costs. You might want to look into PIPP, HEAP, the free/reduced school lunch program, and various other things.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Your wife is/was not a "roommate"

Obfuscation will not help you get correct answers.

BoMTrue

This is not a landlord/tenant situation. Nor roommates. It is a divorce. This is your spouse -- estranged or not. You are going to have to find ways to cut costs. You might want to look into PIPP, HEAP, the free/reduced school lunch program, and various other things.
I make too much for anything like that. If you make more than $0 at a job in this state you make too much for that.

But yes, divorce, whatever. So I have to wait until we file, if she'll even sign the divorce papers, then bring that up during the divorce proceedings? There's nothing I can do now?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I make too much for anything like that. If you make more than $0 at a job in this state you make too much for that.

But yes, divorce, whatever. So I have to wait until we file, if she'll even sign the divorce papers, then bring that up during the divorce proceedings? There's nothing I can do now?
You have to wait for the divorce and even then you can't count on her being ordered to pay half your rent. Unless of course you are going to be okay paying half HER rent. Oh and she doesn't have to sign the divorce papers. There is nothing you can do now except budget better. As for making more than $0 means you make too much, that is NOT true. Exaggeration will get you no where and nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">