• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is long enough?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MyKidsMom

What is the name of your state? NC

Bestfriend and her ex went to court. He had sued for some of his possesions he left behind when he moved and stuff he had given her... Ok.. all of that is settled and he is to some get some of the stuff back...

Is there a set amount of time that he has before she can get rid of it?

He had called 3 days after court and the 4th day.. She had a very sick child and could not do it at that time. She has called him and he will not answer.. he has caller id

How long does she have to keep up with his things? It has been over a month and a half..

JETX

What, if anything, does the judgment say as to the allowed time to recover the property??

M

MyKidsMom

From what I read there was no time frame. I will have her recheck tho.

JETX

Then someone screwed up in writing the judgment.

Without a specific time stated in the judgment, there simply is no requirement that the action be taken.... until both parties agree.

I suggest:
1) Writing the person a letter (sent certified RRR) asking for him to contact her within ___ days to arrange for recovery of the property.
2) If he doesn't contact, then she is going to have to file a motion with the court to set a hearing on the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">