• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long to respond to motion to dismiss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

i found out at a court hearing the defendant filed a motion to dismiss, i never got it at my old address because i had moved, the judge gave an adjournment to give me a chance to respond. how long do i have to respond to it? i think the company is just filing a motion to dismiss because they would have to send a lawyer from another state to defend themselves (i sued an agent located in ny that they were doing business as). I am clueless about motions, what should I do? Do I just bring my evidence to my next court hearing, or do I need to send papers, and if so how long do I have? thanks for any help!!

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

i found out at a court hearing the defendant filed a motion to dismiss, i never got it at my old address because i had moved, the judge gave an adjournment to give me a chance to respond. how long do i have to respond to it? i think the company is just filing a motion to dismiss because they would have to send a lawyer from another state to defend themselves (i sued an agent located in ny that they were doing business as). I am clueless about motions, what should I do? Do I just bring my evidence to my next court hearing, or do I need to send papers, and if so how long do I have? thanks for any help!!
You have until the day the judge said when he granted you the extension. Since we weren't there in the courtroom with you, we don't know when that is.

As far as how to oppose a motion - kinda late in the game to start thinking about how it's played. Better start reading ASAP:
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/civil/motions.shtml
http://www.nycourts.gov/publications/GuideforProSes.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">