• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to motion to move a court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mediabox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I'm a plaintiff and started a small claim suit, have a court date March 2016 - 6 months from now!?

(Question1: I haven't served the defendant yet, do I need to do so or can I move date first via a Motion?)

Spoke to clerk and said sure just file a motion online. I did @ i2file.net but was rejected saying I didn't fill out any forms. Ok so it's either form 2169 or 2271 per the suggested remarks in the response.

2169 is a "Notice of Motion", the other form 2271 is a blank form. Any ideas?

I'm thinking I want the 2169 form but unsure of how to fill it out. It's downloadable from here: http://www.dupageco.org/courtclerk/courtforms.aspx

Top part: Do I address it to the defendant? Does defendant sign it?
Bottom part: Proof of service. Do I get a process server to send it?

Thx in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I'm a plaintiff and started a small claim suit, have a court date March 2016 - 6 months from now!?

(Question1: I haven't served the defendant yet, do I need to do so or can I move date first via a Motion?)

Spoke to clerk and said sure just file a motion online. I did @ i2file.net but was rejected saying I didn't fill out any forms. Ok so it's either form 2169 or 2271 per the suggested remarks in the response.

2169 is a "Notice of Motion", the other form 2271 is a blank form. Any ideas?

I'm thinking I want the 2169 form but unsure of how to fill it out. It's downloadable from here: http://www.dupageco.org/courtclerk/courtforms.aspx

Top part: Do I address it to the defendant? Does defendant sign it?
Bottom part: Proof of service. Do I get a process server to send it?

Thx in advance.
Have you read the rules? Why haven't you served the defendant yet? You should have had instructions for the clerk to serve the defendant with your initial filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">