• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much can I sue for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DMBFireDancer

What is the name of your state? Florida

I recently got a simplfied dissolution and my husband and I agreed outside of court what he would pay me to make up for his part of our debt. We have a signed and notarized agreement as to how much he owes me and the payment schedule. As of April 1st, my exhusband has not been able to keep up with the payments. He has been past due since then and I get a different excuse each week when he gets paid as to why I am getting only $50 instead of the $800 he owes me that month. In total he owes me just over $4500. Since he is not paying me on time, I can't afford to make all the payments. The bills are all in my name and I am paying credit cards and bills late, getting late fees and damaging my credit. While he is saying he can't ay, he is driving a brand new car and living in an apartment where rent is over $1000 a month. He keeps saying all his money is going to bills, so what can I do? If I take him to court to uphold our written contract and say he isn't paying and is always late, can I add on late fees for what I am having to pay to creditors, or what I would have to pay to creditors since my parents have started loaning me money to stop my credit from getting worse than it already is? I want to sue him for the money because I need it so bad, but can I add court fees, late fees and something for the damage that has been done to my credit? And if I file the paperwork and he is suddenly caught up to date on his payments, then what do I do? Did I pay the filing fees for nothing? This is getting ridiculous with all the excuses I get from him and I just want to know how I can get my money and get rid of these credit cards he left me with. Please help!

DMBFireDancer

Okay, I went to this site and it helps with how to file and what to expect, but it still doesn't help me with what my limits are and what happens if he makes a payment after I file the case? Can anyone else offer other help? Thanks.

stephenk

small claims court limit in Florida is $5000. court costs and service of process will be added to the amount you sue for and win. you will also be entitled to interest.

stephenk

you can try for the late fees. How will put a $ value on the damage to your credit? In any event, the most you can ask for in total is $5,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">